Best Eco-Friendly Food Packaging: A Sustainable Solution for Businesses
A staggering number of 141 million tonnes of plastic packaging is produced around the world each year, most of them are used only once and immediately thrown away, ending up in landfills and polluting our oceans.
There is no doubt that plastic is the most common material used in food packaging today. Since the early 1980s, plastic has been introduced in both rigid and flexible forms, slowly replacing traditional materials due to its versatility, ease of manufacture, and low price. Almost 40% of all plastics produced today are used for food and drink packaging.
The urgency to address this issue has never been greater and customers have expressed their concern about it and are even willing to pay more for eco-friendly packaging. In a world where single-use plastic packaging dominates, forward-thinking businesses are taking a stand and switching to eco-friendly packaging.
Eco-Friendly Food Packaging Benefits
Why do we need packaging? Isn’t it possible to just eliminate them all? Unfortunately, no (although reducing the amount is always recommended), since they serve many different purposes for businesses:
- Preservation: Ensure food products remain fresh, safe, and protected during transportation and storage.
- Branding: Packaging acts as a visual representation of a brand’s values and ethos, influencing consumers’ purchasing decisions.
- Convenience: Easy-to-use packaging enhances the overall consumer experience, enabling on-the-go consumption.
- Information Dissemination: Packaging conveys essential information about ingredients, nutrition, and storage guidelines
The Problems with Plastic Packaging in the Food Industry
Although many times much needed, plastic packaging within the food industry has resulted in severe repercussions, intensifying the global plastic crisis:
- Massive Waste Generation: The food industry generates an enormous volume of plastic waste. In many cases, products are packaged in multiple layers, resulting in more plastic waste; there are times when packages are taken without reason. In addition, on-line deliveries have increased by two and three times, resulting in huge amounts of packaging.
- Limited Recycling: Only a fraction of plastic packaging gets recycled, highlighting the inefficiency of current recycling systems
- Environmental Impact: Plastic pollution harms ecosystems, marine life and human health, necessitating urgent action.
Best Eco-Friendly Food Packaging: TIPA’s Sustainable Solutions
In order to reduce the significant environmental harm caused by traditional plastic packaging, eco-friendly food wrapping solutions must be adopted. TIPA offers a range of innovative and eco-friendly packaging solutions tailored to the food industry’s needs. These include:
Pillow Bag Packaging: High-quality flow-wrap bags with horizontal or vertical fin or lap seal, and durable seal on both ends. Available with hole punches to allow oxygen and moisture release and suggested for dry, chilled or frozen food.
Open Bags: These bags are versatile, strong, and durable. They are well-suited for packing food items such as fresh produce, dry food and baked goods. Made from highly transparent, lightweight, and durable single-ply film that is home or commercially compostable, these bags keep food fresh while also delivering outstanding shelf impact. Available in various options:
Side Gusset Pouch - An open or sealable pouch with side gussets that form a stable block bottom for shelving, providing excellent stability and a generous filling volume while neatly containing the packed products. Suitable for dry foods such as granola, pulses & grains, nuts, confectionery, cereals, loose tea, tea bags, roasted and ground coffee beans, and coffee supplements.
Stand-Up Pouch - Reliable compostable stand-up pouches with resealable zipper and a stable bottom gusset that include a tear notch for easy opening and can be ordered with or without a home-compostable zipper, as well as a hole punch for convenient hanging. Ideal for dry food and tea.
Paddy Straw Trays - TIPA offers compostable Paddy Straw Trays that serve as a versatile and durable, environmentally friendly alternative to traditional plastic packaging for fruits, vegetables, and even hot meals. These trays are crafted from renewable materials – rice plantation waste – which adds another sustainable dimension to the product. The compostable packaging can be conveniently disposed of with paper waste or placed in a home or industrial compost bin. Additionally, Compostable Lidding Laminates, designed to ensure optimal food protection, can be added to the trays.
Net Packaging: Offering visibility and protection, this packaging provides a practical and reliable, eco-friendly alternative for packing fruits and vegetables. Made from cellulose fiber, this sustainable produce packaging has a soft grip and is available in 12 colors.
Zipper Bag: Maintain shelf-impact while protecting delicate items with a reusable zip-lock bag. These zipper bags are made from highly transparent, lightweight, durable, and printable single-ply home compostable film with a certified home compostable zipper. Additionally, they can feature bottom gussets and tear notch holes.
What Types of Businesses Can Use Compostable Food Packaging
From local small or medium food brands to to large-scale food packaging manufacturers, a wide range of businesses can benefit from adopting eco-friendly food packaging:
- Food Brands – Food brands of all sizes, spanning from small artisans to large corporations, selling a diverse range of products, have the power to make a positive impact by adopting compostable food packaging.
- Fresh Produce Growers – It doesn’t matter whether you grow and distribute your produce sustainably – no chemical fertilizers, local workers, distribution, etc., or if you’d like to take the first step towards sustainability for your business, or if you want to ensure your produce is kept fresh as long as possible – compostable packaging will be the ideal choice.
- Food Packaging Manufacturers: Your customers are likely familiar with the compostable revolution. Take the opportunity to lead by providing them with compostable packaging that not only preserves their food’s freshness but also transforms into nutrient-rich soil when composted
- Bakeries and Cafés: From now on, you can replace single-use, conventional plastic packaging for your sandwiches and pastry with compostable options.
- Grocery Stores: Provide your customers with compostable options for carrying fruits and vegetables, as well as loose dry fruits.
- Food Delivery Services: Deliver meals with a reduced environmental impact by utilizing TIPA’s various options for deliveries, such as Net Packaging for heavy fruits, Resealable Bag for fresh produce, dry food, or baked goods, Paddy Straw Trays accompanied by Compostable Lidding Laminates to protect your hot meals, fruits&vegies and more.
A sustainable shift in the food industry embracing eco-friendly food packaging is more than a trend; it’s a transformative shift that aligns with consumer expectations and global environmental goals. By choosing sustainable packaging solutions, businesses contribute to reducing plastic waste and protecting the planet. Whether you’re a local business or a global brand, making the switch to eco-friendly packaging supports a healthier future for both your business and the environment.